Make-Ahead Mix: Onion Soup Mix

Sunday, May 7, 2017
I have a few recipes in my standard rotation that call for packets of dry onion soup mix.  I used to keep the store-bought stuff around when I could find it on sale, but I have apparently been missing all of the sales lately, and awhile back I went to make a meal only to find I was completely out of onion soup mix!

I HATE being out of stuff.  I mean, I truly hate it!  It takes me back to the days when I had a grocery list a mile long and after spending $200 at Walmart each week, I would come home and still feel like we had nothing to eat, and within a few hours there was already new stuff being added to the next grocery list.

Because I can't seem to find this stuff on sale on a regular basis anymore (dear Albertson's, I miss you more than you could possibly imagine!), I've since started making my own.  And it is surprisingly easy to do!  Not to mention, it costs MUCH less than the store-bought versions, even on sale, and it only uses seven ingredients.

(Have you SEEN the list of ingredients on the box of the store-bought stuff??? I'm still questioning why my onion soup needs to have caramel coloring...)

Most of the ingredients you may already have on hand.


You'll need:

  • dry minced onion, sometimes labeled as onion flakes - I keep this stuff on hand at all times and to be honest, whenever a recipe calls for onions, this is almost always what I use because I generally do not keep fresh onions around.
  • beef bouillon - you can use powdered or granules.  You can even use bouillon cubes and just crush them before adding in to your mix.  
  • onion powder
  • black pepper
  • sugar
  • paprika
  • celery seed - you'll want to either grind your celery seeds (I keep a small coffee grinder around just for grinding spices) or place them on a cutting board and crush them carefully with the flat side of a knife, bottom of a glass or cup, etc.



Mix it all together and store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.  When a recipe calls for a packet of dry onion soup mix, you can now just use your own homemade stuff!


Depending on how strong of a flavor you like, 2-4 tablespoons of the homemade mix is the equivalent of 1 store bought packet.


You can also try adding in a 1/4-1/2 tsp of garlic powder for a little extra flavor!


It only takes a few minutes to mix up and it is so handy to have on-hand!  Plus, you get to control the flavor by tweaking the recipe or the amount you use to fit your family's liking!!









print recipe

Onion Soup Mix
Make your own dry onion soup mix to use in recipes.
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup dry minced onion
  • 1/3 cup beef bouillon (powder or granules)
  • 4 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
Instructions
1. Grind or crush celery seeds.2. Mix all ingredients together.3. Store in airtight container in cool, dry place.1 packet = 2-4 tablespoons of mix, depending on how strong of a taste you wantBe sure to shake or stir your mix before measuring it out for your recipe!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: equal to 4 1/2 packets

0 comments: