Freezer Meal Demo - Breakfast Sandwiches

Sunday, April 30, 2017
I don't know about all of you, but mornings are BEYOND CRAZY around my house!  I am not a morning person, and while I love the idea of *eating* a hot cooked breakfast, I don't relish the idea of having to get up and actually *cook* one.  Especially early.  I seriously am not fully awake until about noon...

Most of the time, the kiddos are relegated to eating oatmeal or cold cereal.  It's easy, but I really don't like the amount of sugar in the cold cereals.  And I'm finding that the cold cereal just does not keep them full for very long.  My 5 year old will eat a full bowl of cereal, and then seriously 10 minutes later, will ask me for a sandwich, or an apple, or more cereal, saying that she is starving again.

So, to help remedy this, it's freezer meals to the rescue!  I can make these up in not much time on a weekend, and stick them in the freezer.  Then, during the week, we just pull out a sandwich, microwave it, and it's ready to go!  So fast!!  


There are lots of different variations you could go with for these sandwiches.  Bagels and biscuits also work really well (and freeze well, too).  You can choose what goes on your sandwich based on what your family likes.  Change up the cheese, change up the eggs, go ham or bacon instead of sausage, etc.  So many choices!  ;)

For my husband, I usually use sausage, egg and cheese on the inside (he likes cheddar - don't even mention using American on there) and we use bagels, biscuits or English muffins.  

The first step in making the sandwiches is cooking the eggs.  

video

Once you've cooked your eggs, you can gather the rest of your ingredients and assemble your sandwiches!  After they are assembled, we wrap ours in clear plastic cling wrap, then in a layer of aluminum foil, then stick them in gallon-size freezer bags.  Make sure to label your bag with the contents and date (and any reheating instructions). 

video
Freezer Meal - Breakfast Sandwiches

Ingredients:
English muffins, bagels or biscuits
eggs*
cheese slices
sausage patties (I use the pre-cooked ones from the store) - you could also use ham slices or bacon

Instructions:
1. Cook eggs. *You can cook them in the mason jar lids to get them round, or if you're an awesome egg cooker, you can just do fried eggs (I can never keep mine round enough).  If you don't want to mess with the rings, you can cook your eggs in a square electric skillet, then cut into squares for your sandwiches.  Or bake in a rectangular dish in the over and cut into squares.

2. Gather remaining ingredients. 

3. Assemble sandwiches.  I don't think the order you put the items on the sandwich really matters.  I like to have the cheese on the top so it melts down over the other ingredients.

4. Wrap sandwiches in clear plastic cling wrap, then in a layer of aluminum foil.  

5. Label a gallon-size freezer bag with the name, date and reheating instructions.  Place wrapped sandwiches in bag.  Remove as much air as possible, seal, and place in freezer.

To reheat: Remove foil and cling wrap.  Wrap sandwich loosely in a paper towel.  Microwave for 1:30 or until heated through.

0 comments: