Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal with Food Storage!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

My kids LOVE oatmeal for breakfast - I count myself very lucky for that. 

Because mornings are busy and hectic, we usually rely on instant oatmeal.  I try to pick it up when I can find it on a good sale.  But recently I have apparently been slacking off because yesterday the unthinkable happened - we ran out (completely) of instant oatmeal packets!  Not a one left anywhere in the house!!

My first thought was that I had better head to the store and get some more.  But then I remembered that I had bought a 50lb bag of oats a few months ago that is sitting in my basement waiting to be canned, and it really needs to be used.  I've seen several blog posts in the last several years about making your own instant oatmeal packets, so I decided to try it out.

I had everything I needed on hand, except for non-dairy powdered creamer, so I chose a recipe that didn't call for any this time.  I think the results turned out fantastic!

 
Instant Oatmeal

9 c. regular oats
3 c. quick oats
2 tsp. salt

Pour the regular oats onto two large baking sheets, and toast in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.  While those oats are toasting, place the quick oats in a food processor or blender and pulse into you get a chunky powder (not like fine flour).  Pour the oat powder into a large bowl, and add salt and the toasted oats once done.  Mix.  This becomes your oatmeal "base".

For your various flavors:

Maple Brown Sugar
4 c. oatmeal base
2 Tbsp. maple sugar (natural food store - I skipped this in mine but will try this next time)
1/4 - 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Fruit & Cream
4 c. oatmeal base
1/2 - 1 c. dried fruit (for mine I used freeze-dried strawberries and banana dices)
1/2 c. powdered milk (I used nonfat dry powdered milk from the LDS cannery)
1/4 - 1/2 c. brown sugar

Cinnamon Raisin
4 c. oatmeal base
3/4 c. raisins
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 c. brown sugar

Place oatmeal base and flavorings in a bowl and stir until mixed.  Place in airtight container, or portion out in 1/2 c. measurements into individual zippered baggies.

To make the oatmeal - place 1/2 cup oatmeal mix into bowl, add 3/4 cup water and microwave for 1-2 minutes.  Or place the oatmeal in bowl and pour boiling water over the top, stir, and let rest for 3 minutes.

0 comments: