Food Storage 101: Introduction

Monday, September 10, 2012
I have started this post about a dozen times over the last three years...I can't seem to ever get past the first few sentences.  There is so much to say about the why's of food storage, but I just can't seem to narrow it down into what I really want to say.  And that has kept me from getting very far.  But no longer - this is important stuff and I need to move past this. So forgive me for leaving out a huge chunk of information as an "introduction" and jumping right in with the nitty gritty.  It's not how I usually like to write, but in this case, I don't see any other way around it.   And I'll keep working on a good "Introduction" article to hopefully be able to post one of these days.

Let's just jump right in...okay?

There are lots of really great reasons for doing food storage.  In order to be successful at it, you need to have a plan.  I'm going to introduce the basics of the plan we use in our church, not because I want to indoctrinate you.  But simply because it is the plan I know most about and I happen to think it is a good one.  You may take what you want from the plan and modify it to suit your needs, religious or not.

From our church leaders:

“Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

“We encourage members worldwide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.

“We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve.”

There are four parts to the basic plan:

  • Gather a 3-month supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet.

  • Gather drinking water for situations in which the water supply may be polluted or disrupted.

  • Establish a financial reserve and budget for your food storage needs.  This also includes staying out of debt and learning to live within our means.

  • Gather a supply of food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, white rice and beans.

My goals is to go over each of these in much greater detail over the next few weeks and months.  I will give you specific information and guidelines on how to achieve each of these objective.  I also want to know of any questions you have, or topics you want help with!

0 comments: