Food Storage Recipe: Cancun Chicken Curry

Sunday, August 5, 2012
We had this for dinner tonight, and all I can say is, "WOW!!!!"  It was so good - lots of depth to the flavors.  Normally something like this would be a little intimidating for me, but it actually was quite easy to prepare.  The secret is to do all of the prep work first, before you start cooking anything.  And have all of your items in separate bowls ready to go (called 'mise en place') because the first several steps go very fast and there is no time to prep in between.

Sorry I didn't get a picture - it was all gone before the thought even crossed my mind to get out the camera. 

But the picture on the original poster's blog tells the whole story, so take a look!

Cancun Chicken Curry, from La Fuji Mama

Really the only adjustment I made for this tonight was to use some of my home-canned chicken instead of fresh, because I didn't have time to thaw any this morning.  I also used the pre-minced garlic that I keep in the fridge.  I did use the Gourmet Garden items that the author suggested, even though I do have ginger in my freezer, because I wanted to save time.  But I think this could be modified to incorporate even more food storage.

I think you could easily use dehydrated onions and dry minced garlic in this, as well as canned diced tomatoes, for a similar taste.  Now that I know this is a definite keeper, I will make it again using the food storage modifications and let you know how it goes!

[A note on the spices:  I do keep turmeric, cumin, coriander and garam marsala in my pantry.  One trick for long-term storage on some of these items, like the coriander, is to store the seeds rather than the ground version.  They will keep much longer, and then when you need the ground version, you can grind some up fresh in a blender or coffee grinder.]

0 comments: