Plum Jam!!!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Our two plum trees in the backyard are full to the breaking point - literally - this year!  I don't know what brought on the excess of fruit this season, but the tree limbs are all dragging on the ground, and some of the big ones have even snapped, because they are all so heavy with fruit.  Thankfully, the fruit is ready to go so we can get it off the tree quickly and try to save some of the branches. 

We went out the other night and pulled off enough plums to fill a 5-gallon bucket, and that was only from ONE branch.  It doesn't even look like we made a dent in the amount of plums left on the tree.  And then I used them to make plum jam today - 15 half-pint jars and I haven't even made a dent in the 5-gallon bucket!  Egads - we are swimming in plums!!!  :)

I've never done plum jam before, and actually had never even tasted it before tonight.  But I have to tell you, I have definitely been missing out - it is SOO good! 

I will post a picture tomorrow.  In the meantime, does anyone have any good recipes to use up more of these plums?  I've heard you can preserve them whole and unpitted in a heavy syrup - anyone done this before?  I need ideas for using these things up - HELP!!!  What is your favorite plum recipe?

0 comments: