Food Storage Recipe: Granola Cereal

Thursday, May 24, 2012
I've always liked granola, but I've never made it myself.  I keep meaning to do it, but just never get around to it.  Until now.  I found a great recipe that is super easy to make, can be modified for my son's (and my) dairy allergy, and works great as a snack or as a breakfast cereal!  And it's a great way to rotate through the oats in my food storage!  It is tasty plain, or you can make it "fancy" and add nuts, raisins, craisins or other freeze-dried/dehydrated fruits.  Eat it plain, or add milk, or even layer it in a dish with some yogurt and jam for a fancy parfait.

Watch out sugary store-bought breakfast cereals - your days are numbered at our house now!!!  :)


Granola Cereal

1/2 c margarine
1/2 c peanut butter
1 c brown sugar
6 Tbsp honey
1/2 c milk
2 Tbsp cinnamon
4 c regular oats
1 c 6-grain cereal (or 7-, 8- or 10- grain cereal mix - I used the Bob's Red Mill variety)
2 tsp vanilla

Combine first five ingredients in sauce pan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil and let boil for one minute while stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add cinnamon, oats, 6-grain cereal and vanilla.  Mix well.

Spread granola mixture onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until it begins to brown.  Let cool and then break up the big clumps.


My modifications:

For dairy-free, we used a dairy-free margarine and So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk.

The 2 tablespoons of cinnamon was a bit much for me - it was okay for the cereal just plain, but was too overpowering for trying to add dried fruits.  So, next batch I will try no cinnamon at all, or maybe just 1 tablespoon, so that we can add dried fruits to it for breakfast. 

I also picked up some caramel flavoring at Orson Gygi's this week, and will experiment with using the caramel flavoring (just a bit) in place of the cinnamon.  We have a can of freeze-dried banana dices that I think would go great with a caramel-flavored granola for cereal in the morning!

0 comments: