Food Storage Recipe: Chewy Granola Bars

Friday, May 25, 2012
While I had all the granola ingredients out the other night, I decided to try my hand at granola bars.  We've hit a snag with the store-bought kinds - they all include milk products!  Argh!!!  So I needed to find a homemade recipe that I could modify for our dairy allergy.

I have to say, at first I wasn't too sure about these.  I tasted them when they were still a tad bit warm, and it wasn't quite what I was expecting (but I'm not a big fan of honey, and you can definitely taste the honey in these).  But I finished letting them cool, then cut them and wrapped them in plastic wrap figuring I would use them in my son's lunches.  Turns out, he didn't like them, but that's okay because I ended up eating them - and the taste actually grew on me! 

I'm still on the search for a really great granola bar recipe, but I'll keep this one as a backup.


Basic Chewy Granola Bars

3 c oats (I used the quick cook variety)
1/2 c oat bran (I ended up using wheat bran since I didn't have oat bran)
1/2 c wheat germ
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c honey
4 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Combine first three ingredients together on a sheet pan and toast in 350F degree oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  While oats are toasting, combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Remove from heat and pour over toasted oat mixture.  Mix well. 

Spread onto greased cookie sheet.  Top with sheet of wax paper and press down to desired height.  Let cool (30 minutes or more) then cut to desired sizes.  Wrap or store in airtight container.


My modifications:
I only had to substitute one thing on this one to make it dairy-free, and that was to use dairy-free margarine in place of the butter.

0 comments: