Food Storage Recipe: Taco Chili

Sunday, January 8, 2012

[Photo from Better Homes & Gardens - see link below for recipe]

I saw this recipe last week and decided to try it out for dinner this evening. I was supposed to put it in the crock pot before we left for church, but I totally forgot. So we just made it on the stovetop when we got home and let it simmer for about 30 minutes - still turned out just fine!

I also opted to use some ground turkey instead of ground beef because, well: a) we had it, and b) we needed to use it. ;)

It wasn't anything super-wow, but my kids tolerated it better than usual, and it is a slight change to the straight meat and bean chilis. We served ours over Fritos and topped it with cheese - YUMMY!

It comes together VERY quickly, and uses lots of canned items from your pantry or food storage!

Better Homes & Gardens Taco Chili

For recipe clarification:

I didn't know there was such a thing as canned chili beans with chili gravy, but there are. You'll find them with the other canned beans - they are basically canned pinto beans in a sauce. I found some in the Western Family brand at Macey's here in Utah, but there were two or three other brands on the shelf as well. I'd never seen them before because I guess I had never looked...

Also, I'm not sure about the seasoned tomato sauce with diced tomatoes - that I couldn't find. So I used 1 15oz can of tomato sauce, and 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes as a substitute. Seemed to work just fine. And we used whole kernal corn instead of hominy.

0 comments: