Thank goodness for my blanket!

Monday, November 28, 2011
It takes a lot of work and dedication to be prepared. You learn a lot, that's for sure. But sometimes the most surprising things you learn are when your preparations get used to help in non-emergency situations. You just never know when this stuff will come in handy - but boy are you glad when it does!

Two weeks ago, at 28wks into my third pregnancy, I did the standard glucose tolerance test to check for gestational diabetes. It was never an issue in my previous two pregnancies, so I didn't think much of it this time around - that is, until the nurse called to tell me that I had failed the test. They wanted further testing and so I had to go in for a 3-hr fasting glucose tolerance test, which I then scheduled for the next day, first thing in the morning.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of a glucose tolerance test, they make you drink a really sweet orange-soda type stuff that is a measured dose of pure glucose. It's like orange soda but without the fizz. You'll hear people complain all the time about the stuff, about how nasty it is, and it makes them sick to their stomach, etc. Honestly, the first two times I did the test, the drink didn't bother me, and I wondered what all the hype was about.

But this time - wow, that stuff knocked me for a loop. I was sick for most of the rest of the day after the preliminary (1-hr) test, and that was when I was allowed to eat food with it. It was much worse for the fasting 3hr test when I had to drink twice as much on an empty stomach. I drank the stuff, and within about 20 minutes started to feel sick. Only thing is, you can't leave the hospital. You have to stay there for the next three hours so they can draw blood every hour to test your blood sugar levels. I thought maybe they would have a little area with curtained-off chairs or something for those who had to stay around for this test...but no. Just the regular waiting room. And let me tell you, the chairs there are some of the most uncomfortable I have ever had the misfortune of "waiting" in.

I did the test first thing in the morning, and I was tired. Then I was sick and tired. Then I was sick, nauseated and tired - and bored. Even though I had brought stuff with me to do, I couldn't concentrate because I felt so miserable. There wasn't anywhere to lie down, and I was having a hard time staying awake. After the first hour blood draw, I just couldn't bear to sit for another hour in the waiting room. So, I thought maybe I would go sit in my car - it would at least be a bit more private and maybe I could lay the seat back and doze for a little bit in between draws.

Only, I have this thing about car seats and headrests...they just don't work for me. You know that annoying thing where you start to fall asleep but your head keeps flopping forward, or backward, or you just can't get comfy because there is no neck support? Yup, that's me. No matter how far I laid the seat back, there was no hope. And let me tell you, by this point in time, I was so nauseated and tired, I was absolutely miserable. But then I remembered that I had my emergency car kit in the back, and inside was a little $3 fleece blanket from Ikea, and some water bottles! Thank goodness for little miracles!!! I was able to use my jacket over me to keep warm (it was really cold that morning), the fleece blanket rolled up behind my neck and then covering the headrest to make it more comfy, and the water to help with the nausea. Worked like a charm because the next thing I knew, it was 30 minutes later and my alarm was going off to tell me it was time to go back inside for another draw. Rarely have I ever been so grateful for a blanket! :)

I know it may seem like a silly little story, but I really can't even count the number of times that I have used the stuff in my emergency car kit for things that weren't exactly what I thought of as emergencies, but I was certainly very glad that I had them with me!!! I've used the water bottles so many times, and the medicine and bandaids in the first aid kit, and now add the blanket to the list. You just never know when this stuff will come in handy!

1 comments:

Julene said...

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I had gestastional diabetes with all 5 pregnancies and it really is no fun! Hang in there though it's worth it!