Food Storage Recipe: Ham Fried Rice

Tuesday, November 29, 2011
I sometimes get asked how I incorporate food storage into regular everyday life. My answer is anything but earth-shattering: I just use it in my regular meals.

My other secret is that I store stuff that we use and will eat. :) If we don't generally eat it in our day-to-day meals, I don't store it, or I don't store much of it. The only exception to that being powdered nonfat dry milk - we don't drink it as our regular "milk" because well, as everyone knows, it's not the tastiest stuff around. But it is absolutely essential for long-term food storage. And I do use it in many recipes calling for milk, so it does get rotated. (Did you know that the famous Lion House Rolls recipe calls for the stuff? Great way to use powdered milk and rotate it - make lots of awesome Lion House rolls!)

When I say "food storage", I also include the stuff in my freezer. Sure, it isn't long-term storage that will last for 30 years, but it counts as your 3-month short-term stuff.

Two weeks ago I found a great deal on spiral-sliced honey half ham, and picked one up so we could have some in our freezer. It was already fully cooked, so all we had to do was dice it into smaller pieces and then vacuum-sealed it food saver bags with about 2 cups of ham in each.

I pulled one of those bags of ham out for tonight's dinner: Ham Fried Rice.

However, you'll have to forgive me - we were hungry and it was all gone before I even thought to take a picture!

Ham Fried Rice

1/4 cup butter
1 cup cooked and chopped ham (you can also use shrimp, pork, chicken or other meat)
1 med onion, finely chopped (2 Tbsp dried minced onions)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 Tbsp soy sauce
4 cups cooked rice
1 cup mixed peas and carrots (can use frozen or canned)
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter in skillet and add chopped ham and minced onions. Sautee for about 3 minutes. Add rice, salt, pepper, soy sauce and vegetables. Mix thoroughly. Stir in beaten eggs and cook another 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to "dry" or you see the eggs are thoroughly cooked.

One of these times I'll even try it using my reconstituted powdered eggs to see how it affects the taste.

This is absolutely something you could make completely from basic storage ingredients, and you'd never know you were eating food storage! It is fast, easy and delicious!

0 comments: