Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

Monday, October 10, 2011


[Please look past the awful picture - I really need to take some photography classes. I assure you the soup is fabulous; however, the picture is not!]

This is a great recipe from the Lion House restaurant here in Salt Lake City. It tastes fabulous and is SO easy to modify for food storage!

I made this last week, and pulled all the ingredients from food storage - it took less than 15 minutes to come together and made for a terrific fall meal.

Here is the original recipe (not modified for food storage):

Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

2 tsp. chicken bouillon
3 c. chicken stock
2 c. chopped carrots
2 c. chopped celery
3/4 c. chopped onion
2 cans (10.5oz) cream of chicken soup
1/4 c. evaporated milk or 1/2 c. whole milk
roux (2 c. flour + 1 c. melted butter, whisked together until well blended)
2 c. cooked diced chicken
4 c. cooked noodles
salt and pepper to taste

Heat chicken bouillon and stock together. Add carrots, celery, and onion, and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add cream of chicken soup and milk. Thicken with roux as desired, then add cooked chicken and noodles. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts, or 10 1-cup servings.

Now, here is the version I modified to use all food storage ingredients:

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

2 tsp. chicken bouillon
6 c. canned chicken broth
1-2 cans sliced carrots (or you can use dehydrated carrots from the cannery)
(I omitted the celery because no one in my house will eat it)
1/4 c. dehydrated minced onions
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. milk (used shelf-stable Gossner's milk - you could also use powdered milk here very easily - 1 1/2 Tbsp dry powdered milk + 1/2 c. water)
1 pint jar canned chicken, drained
4 c. noodles (didn't pre-cook mine; I used a mixture of egg noodles and rotini because I ran out of egg noodles before I got to 4 cups)
salt and pepper to taste

I added the bouillon, broth, onions, soup, chicken and carrots to a large dutch oven on the stove to heat. When it reached a boil, I added the noodles and let cook until noodles were tender. I then turned down the heat, added the milk, and let cook until thoroughly warmed. I tasted and added salt and pepper as needed. That was it. I left out the roux part.

Of course, you don't have to use all food-storage items for this. Sometimes I make this with fresh carrots. I just happened to have some canned carrots that I wanted to try, and seeing as how I doubted anyone in my family would eat them straight out of the can, I figured this was as good a chance as any to use a few cans without sparking a family-wide food revolt... ;)

0 comments: