Dry-Pack Canning at Home

Friday, October 28, 2011
So, I have been collecting some long-term food storage stuff downstairs over the last year that really needs to get put into more permanent storage containers. Only, with the move last year, and then the struggle to finish our old basement and get our house sold, the canning of that food sorta went to the bottom of my priority list.

Thanks to a few purchases from the recent case lot sales, I'm running out of room on my storage shelves and I need to rearrange stuff so it's not in piles on the floor, or on boxes, or spread throughout the house. And I can't really rearrange the shelves until I have most of the long-term stuff accounted for in #10 cans. So I finally bit the bullet yesterday and called to see if I could get my hands on a portable canner.

One trip to the home storage center, one portable canner, 40 #10 cans, lids and 35 oxygen absorbers later (along with two 25lb bags of dried beans) and I'm all set to do some dry-pack canning this weekend and get my food storage "room" back under control! :)

Stay tuned for a step-by-step how-to post on using the portable canner. I'll be dry canning some beans, rice, white flour, sugar, powdered sugar, steel-cut oats and LOTS of various pasta!

0 comments: