Another Adventure in Canning

Wednesday, October 5, 2011
This one got a little dicey...I had one of my quart jars explode in the canner! Bottom blew right out of it! ARGH!!! Oh well - no harm done except to my nerves. :) I don't know what caused it - the bottle was still quite warm when I put it in, so I don't think it was thermal shock. Perhaps I had a large air bubble still that I hadn't gotten out? Or maybe the jar just had a weak spot - it broke right at the seam where the sides attach to the bottom. At least it was a clean break and didn't shatter.

We stopped in to Utah's "Fruit Way" in Brigham/Perry this weekend on our way home from a trip, to pick up some peaches and pears.

We ended up with 1 full bushel (two boxes) of peaches and 1/2 bushel (1 box) of pears. Together with a bag of grapes and 2 jars of maraschino cherries, I ended up with:

24 quart jars of sliced peaches
10 quart jars of pears (minus the one that exploded)
13 pint jars of fruit cocktail

I ran out of quart jars after the peaches. Apparently everyone else is canning this week, because there are NO wide-mouth quart jars in stock in ANY store within 20 miles of us!!! Thankfully, I was able to scrounge up enough to finish the pears by taking the ones I was using for storing vacuum-sealed chocolate chips, moving the chips to a FoodSaver bag, and then washing out the jars for pears.

0 comments: