A note about canning ketchup...

Thursday, September 1, 2011
Canning ketchup...well, it's a bit more involved than just canning fruits or jams.

I have to tell you, honestly, this was not one of my favorites. It took FOREVER, and EVER, and EVER...I kid you not, I spent ALL day just doing ketchup.

And for all that work, I only got 9 pint jars out of it!

I'm so exhausted still that I haven't even tasted it yet. :)

I'm glad that I tried it, and now I can say I know how to do it, but it really wasn't worth the time or effort for me.

ESPECIALLY when I walked into Smith's on Wednesday and saw Hunt's Ketchup (the 100% Natural No-HFCS kind, the kind I like) on sale for 1.00 for a 24oz bottle! (Pint jars are 16oz.) And then I saw them for the same price at Target last night.

For making my own ketchup to can, I used an entire half-bushel box of tomatoes (24 lbs). It cost $12 just for the tomatoes. Then there's the vinegar and seasonings. And I only got 9 pints out of it. Right there it is already more than $1 per pint, which is smaller than the Hunt's bottle, so Hunt's ends up being cheaper. Plus it took me an ENTIRE day to make, and nearly three hours to reduce on the stove. No so with the Hunt's I can just buy from the store. ;)

I looked on the Hunt's label, and I could identify and pronounce every item on there - plus the front label says "100% Natural". That's a good sign.

So for me, after all is said and done, it's worth it to watch the sales and pick up the Hunt's, even if it's $1/bottle, rather than can my own. Does that make me evil in the home-canning world?

0 comments: