Canning Season is Here!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011
The late summer and early fall months bring lots of great harvests from the fields and fruit trees, and a wonderful way to preserve some of that goodness for use during the rest of the year is through canning.

It's not as difficult as you might think. If it's something that you think you'd like to try (and I HIGHLY suggest that you do), I recommend that you get yourself a copy of this lovely beauty, often referred to as the "canning bible":


The Ball Blue Book of Preserving - This is an older edition. The new cover looks quite a bit different I think.

It will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know, and it contains tons of great recipes to get you started! I've seen this available at Walmart in the late summer when they put out their canning supplies, but you can also pick it up online or get a copy from the library.

Another magnificent resource is this fine specimen:


I found a copy at Costco this week for only $12.99! I've been eying this one for awhile now and just had to pick it up. It is more of a recipe-book format, and although it does contain the basic information and instructions for the various types of canning methods, I thought the Blue Book was an easier guide to start with as a beginner.

I cannot wait to test out some of the recipes in this new (to me) book! There are certainly a lot of "gourmet" options that look very enticing!!

0 comments: