Canning Progress

Sunday, August 28, 2011


I was up to my eyeballs in tomatoes and salsa yesterday. I had hoped to get all the tomatoes taken care of, but then we decided it would save time if we had a food mill so we didn't have to blanch and peel all of the tomatoes for the sauce or ketchup. So then we had to find a local store that carried the right kind of food mill. And wouldn't you know it, it was 30 minutes away - at Orson Gygi. And it being my first trip to OG and all, we had to spend time perusing the entire store, and of course we came out of there with WAY more in our cart than we intended... ;) Anyway, that put us behind schedule for the canning, and the salsa ended up taking FOR-EHHHHH-VER...


So, Saturday's canning menu ended up being only one item, 15 pint jars of salsa. (But we at least got all the plums off the trees in the backyard by the end of the night.) My husband has decided that his favorite salsa recipe is the stuff we make right from food storage, and he's not so fond of the canned salsa, so I'm not sure if the whole canned salsa thing was really worth it. Oh well, had to try it at least once, right?

We've still got a TON of tomatoes, and many are going bad fast, so I'm going to try some ketchup and some tomato sauce which I will attempt tomorrow.

And then there is a quarter bushel of plums that need to be washed, and halved, and pitted, and canned or made into jam...EGADS! :)

2 comments:

Deanne said...

I would love to get the recipe for your uncles pickles....I love to read your blog!

Candi said...

Send me an email at ducklette (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll send you the recipe. I was going to post it on the blog, but it doesn't use a water-bath process, so I'm very hesitant to make it "public" since it doesn't follow approved guidelines.