I am ashamed of myself...

Thursday, November 12, 2009
I have a confession to make, and it isn't pretty. I went to the store this morning and walked out spending $45 on ONE (yes, that's right, just ONE) bag of groceries...

Here's what I picked up:


(1) Kikkoman panko bread crumbs, on sale 1.50
(2) Progresso panko bread crumbs, on sale 2.00 (one was .90 after coupon)
(1) Munchkin snack cup, 4.79
(1) pkg cheesecloth, on sale 1.53
(1) wasabi paste, 3.19
(1) pkg RealSalt kosher sea salt, 9.02 (6.99/lb)
(1) Gerber toddler table setting, 7.49
(1) flank steak, 13.21 (6.99/lb - EGADS!)

I used one coupon, a 1.10/1 printable coupon for the bread crumbs [coupon HERE]. I actually thought I had two coupons with me, but when I got to the register I could only find one, and I was trying to keep my little one from running out the door, so I completely spaced asking them to leave one box out of my purchase. Oh well.

What prompted such a bizarre trip to the store, you ask? One where I willingly bought items not on sale and without coupons? Well, some of those items were impulse buys (the snack container, toddler plate and cheesecloth). I got the other items because I was hooked by a cooking show on FoodNetwork this morning and the food looked SO good I just HAD to have it...Darn you, Food Network!!!

The panko bread crumbs and wasabi paste are for Panko Crusted Chicken with Wasabi Tomato Sauce, and the flank steak is for Grilled Flank Steak with Bacon Balsamic Glaze.

The kicker was the flank steak...I have looked all over town for this stuff, because I have several recipes calling for flank steak that I have wanted to try over the last few months. It's been hard to find actual flank steak *anywhere* in the regular grocery stores...maybe I need to go to an actual butcher shop.

[Ugh, I can't believe I just paid 6.99/lb for flank steak - this better be some unbelievably heavenly meat!]

See, even a crazy coupon lady occassionally falls off the coupon/frugalista wagon...

2 comments:

Caralee said...

Thank you for this...makes me feel a little better about your next post (and myself) ;)

Candi said...

Glad I could help! Ha Ha! ;)